Monday 12 April 2010

A Frame Full of Flowers

We had a quiet weekend this week, really.  A little shopping, Sunday lunch with friends (and their adorable two-year-old daughter) and not much else.  I'm working on a project for something that's happening on Thursday (ha! you'll have to wait and see), so I haven't had much time to spare for challenges this week. 

When we were out shopping on Saturday, I saw a beautiful laser cut card, just the sort of thing I can't make!  So I came home and pondered a little: if the design was simple and didn't mean a lot of cutting by hand, surely I could come up with something. 

I stumbled upon a new challenge blog the other day - The Shabby Tea Room. You really should take a look, it's lovely and the standard of entries is wonderful.  It is only on it's fourth challenge, so it really needs your support.  This week, they were challenging us to 'Embrace the white' - to make something with white/cream and one subtle colour.  Additionally, Cupcake Craft Challenges this week was to make your own flowers (and we know I have flower punches, don't we!?).

Mmmm, so laser cut white flowers.  Challenge!!!!!

This is what I came up with - apologies in advance for the rather livid green background.

Papers: White card from stash; pale grey from DCWV 'Linen Closet' collection.

Tools: EK Success Retro Flower punches; other small flower punch (sorry, don't know the make); Floral Punch leaf spray.

Other: Gems and glitter glue from stash.

This is probably one of the simplest cards I've ever made, but, as usually happens when going simple, very time consuming. 


First, I made the basic card from sturdy white cardstock. I cut a frame and punched lots of basic flower shapes in all sizes.  I then set about working from one side of the frame to the other with the flowers, each one glued to the next with my glue pen, until I had filled the the frame with flat flower shapes. 

Next, I made up some double-layer flowers in large and medium and mounted these on top of corresponding shapes in the frame.  I punched and added a few light grey leaf sprays, some gems to the 3D flowers and some glitter glue to the middles of the flat flowers and there you have it!  It has the overall delicate feel of a laser cut card but without lots of cutting.  And I love white and pale grey together. 

So, despite feeling I hadn't enough time for this week's challenges, I've now got a card for two challenges and I'm feeling most chirpy!

It has been beautifully springlike here this weekend - long may it last.  There's nothing quite like the first burst of sunshine to put a smile on everyone's face.  Such a shame I have to work tomorrow as the forecast is good again.  Oh well, just five more days to the weekend!

Happy crafting.
Photobucketxx

4 comments:

  1. Peri.. this is stunning.. absolutely beautiful. Hugs, Peggy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply {stunning}!!! What a lovely take on our 'embrace the white' challenge! I'm so glad you joined us in the Tea Room this week and I hope you can come back again tomorrow to give our next challenge a try too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really ornate. I didn't quite understand that there is no backing card to the flowers until you explained it. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this card, who doesn't love flowers!
    Thanks for the nice comments you left on my blog, I love the Shabby Tearoom, I love seeing what everyone comes up with, really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to view my blog and would love you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. Many thanks.